If you are on a low-income or out of work, then you may be able to claim for Universal Credit.

Universal Credit (www.gov.uk/universal-credit) 

What Universal Credit is 

Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It’s paid monthly - or twice a month for some people in Scotland.

You may be able to get it if you’re on a low income or out of work.

If you already get other benefits

Universal Credit is replacing the following benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
  • Working Tax Credit

If you currently get any of these benefits, you do not need to do anything unless:

  • You have a change of circumstances you need to report
  • The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) contacts you about moving to Universal Credit

Severe disability premium

You cannot claim Universal Credit if you either:

  • Get the severe disability premium, or are entitled to it
  • Got or were entitled to the severe disability premium in the last month, and you’re still eligible for it

If you have a change of circumstances that affects the severe disability premium or your other benefits, report it and you’ll be told what to do next.