WE’RE HIRING: Researcher and editor needed for Thamesmead's Culture Guide
We’re looking for a talented researcher and copy editor who can work with us to help create the Thamesmead Culture Guide, which will include writing text, unearthing new talent and building meaningful connections with local creatives.
The culture guide was first published in 2017, but over the last four years we have seen the creative community in Thamesmead grow enormously, and the current guide is no longer reflective of the incredible and diverse talent working and living here. We are also aware that despite having an active culture forum, and developing lots of connections with the creative community, there are 45,000 residents in Thamesmead and we are only just scratching the surface. We hope with this revised guide that we can uncover more local talent and make new connections.
Your key role will be to collect content for the Culture Guide and prepare the text and images so that they are print-ready and can be handed to the designer.
This will mainly include collecting information and images from local artists, creative businesses and community groups. How you collect this information will be up to you, but we expect the following will be useful:
- to build on the existing content of the current Culture Guide
- use Peabody’s connections and the Culture Forum mailing list
- work with key local cultural partners, especially Bow Arts and their community of resident artists
- run open calls or similar
- use your own connections
- desktop and field research
- Work closely together with the culture team to design the structure and format of the Culture Guide
- Researching and making new connections of local artists, creatives and creative businesses
- Writing, editing and updating all text to go into the new Culture Guide
- Collecting images of people and their work to go alongside their text; making sure any images are high enough resolution and of good quality
- Liaise with Culture Guide designer and printers (both to be appointed)
- Work towards having the Culture Guide launched at the Thamesmead Festival in mid August 2021
- Work to be mainly undertaken from home via e-mail and phone. If meetings take place, current Government Guidelines around COVID have to be adhered to.
- We are looking for someone who is passionate about Thamesmead and promoting the creative sector.
- We need an organised, thorough and proactive person with amazing attention to detail.
- You will need to be effective at grassroots research, speaking to many different people and groups, and capturing this diversity in the content collected.
- Your writing style needs to be clear and concise, avoiding ‘arts speak’ and able to communicate Thamesmead’s creative talent to a wide and varied audience.
- Some marketing and comms experience would be useful but not essential.
- Being able to re-size images and ensure they are print-ready would be useful but not essential.
- You need to have access to your own computer/laptop and be able to work on this project from your home or studio.
- You will be working directly with Adriana Marques, Head of Cultural Strategy for Thamesmead, supported by Lisa Drew, Cultural Programme Manager for Thamesmead.
Please email a short cover letter explaining why you are interested in the role and what you can bring to the project, plus your latest CV to [email protected].
We don’t expect to hold interviews, but if there is a lot of interest, we may ask to meet informally before appointing.
Deadline for applications: Tuesday 4 May at 9am
Read the current Thamesmead Culture Guide here.